Saturday, May 17, 2008

Nipawin

Hello everyone!

I thought I had better have a turn at writing in the blog (at least it will get Matt of my back about trying new technologies!)

As Lisa mentioned we arrived in Nipawin yesterday to yet another very warm welcome. It still suprises me how many people we meet that are so happy to see us and share their homes with us. I am staying with a fantastic couple, Gloria and Walter, in their Condo - like an apartment building back home, but for the over 55's. It's great!

Hilda and I managed to see some "old" snow yesterday! Hilda was a little keener that I with her host family and her digging in it and making snow balls! Snow is definatley a novelty to us who don't see it often, if ever!

Our presentation went well last night to a very welcoming Nipawin club. I am finding the presentations are getting a lot easier (one would hope so considering we have done it about 5 or so times now!). After the meeting my hosts took me on a tour around Nipawin and then we finished the night with a Mudslide at the local Dairy Queen! For those at home, Dairy Queen's are like an ice cream / sundae / thickshake / yummy, fattening food place! I am convinced we should be looking into getting Dairy Queen's back home - they are fantastic! Not sure though if they are responsible for our jeans feeling tighter or if it's the clothes dryers!

After a late sleep in this morning, Gloria made me what I am starting to think is a traditional Canadian breakfast - bacon, eggs, pancakes with whipped cream and coffee. WOW! I managed however! Although, was very happy when Gloria suggested a walk down the street!

Tonight we are off to the park to have a Weiner roast! We have been informed that these are hotdogs! Before this my hosts are taking me out to the lakes for a tour. We didn't make it to the grain farm as the farmer was having trouble with his seeding equipment.

Looking forward to having a couple of days off, despite how wonderful our host families have been. We are thinking about heading to the golf course, but I think it may be straight to the 19th hole! Of course, by the end of our rest days I will be looking forward to our next adventure! I am still on the hunt / look out for a Moose! Am starting to realise however, that the one I saw in the museum in Regina may be the closest I get! Oh well, am sure a new flavour at Dairy Queen will make up for it!

Hope everyone at home is well and the weather is not getting too cold. The weather here is finally starting to warm up - only went out with jeans and 2 layers on today!

Hello to all my family and friends - miss you all, especially you Rowan!!!

Love Bec

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bec & the team

I am glad Matt is hassling about using the new technology because I am very much enjoying following your advetures via the blog. So pleased you have been met with such hospitality but that does not surprize me with Canadian Rotarians. Keep enjoying your adventures and keep sharing them as we enjoy them

John B

PS Matt I bought a new treadmill yesterday and it sounds like you may need a few sessions on it on your return to shed your devoured 'excess baggage'!!

Dell Ponsonby said...

Love the blog - what wonderful experiences you are having. I feel like I am traveling with you and I well remember the Canadian hospitality. Please keep the blog going and share your experiences with us.

Dell Ponsonby

PS Hi Matt - we are collecting technical questions for you .... and they are growing!